A Massachusetts resident student is defined as a US citizen, resident alien/permanent resident, or lawful immigrant who lives in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. To be eligible for in-state tuition at a Massachusetts community college, an applicant must:

  • Establish residency in Massachusetts for at least six (6) continuous months prior to the beginning of the academic period for which the applicant seeks enrollment (if the applicant is an unemancipated minor, this standard of residency applies to the parent or legal guardian) and intend to remain in Massachusetts indefinitely; or
  • Qualify for in-state tuition reciprocity under the New England Regional Student Program and meet the requirements of the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education, including residency in his/her home state; or
  • Be a qualifying veteran or dependent of a qualifying veteran under the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (Public Law 113-146). Mount Wachusett Community College complies with Section 702 policy (regarding in-state tuition) for public Institutions of Higher Learning; or
  • Qualify for in-state tuition under an approved state program and meet the requirements of the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education.

Persons who are on student immigration visas or other immigration visas who have declared as a condition of their visa that they intend to return to their homeland shall be ineligible for in-state tuition. Other non-citizens who have satisfied the residency requirement may establish an intent to remain in Massachusetts indefinitely, and therefore may be eligible for in-state tuition, by maintaining one of the following immigration statuses:

  • Permanent Resident Aliens;
  • U.S. permanent residents with I-151, I-551, and I-551C forms;
  • Students who have an I-94 from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Immigration and Customs Enforcement Service) with one of the following designations stamped on the card: refugee; Cuban-Haitian entrant status pending; or asylum granted;
  • International students with student visas who are married to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Other non-citizens may also be eligible for in-state tuition (“S” courses). In all cases, the college will conduct a case-by-case analysis.