Dental Hygiene Degree Program (DHY)
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be notified of the admissions decision by mail approximately 60 days after the deadline. The college reserves the right to return completed applications that are received after the posted deadline, without review.
Requirements for Consideration to DHY
College Placement Testing (CPT) requirements: CPT required results are subject to change. Please contact the Advising Center at 978-630-9109 or you may contact the Admissions Office at 978-630-9110 to attend an information session.
Students are strongly urged to have completed ENG 101 College Writing I, with a grade of C+ or better, at the time of application.
Competency may be met with completion of a math course equal to MAT 126 Topics In Mathematics or higher (not MAT 140 Elements Of Mathematics I) with a grade of C+ or better or through college placement testing. Math requirement may not be older than ten years.
Applicants must submit the following to the Admissions Office
- A completed DHY admissions application (available through the Admissions Office).
- High School Diploma or Equivalency requirement as described in the College's general admissions requirements.
- Official college transcripts (if applicable) from all colleges other than MWCC. Official transcripts are not required for courses completed at MWCC. Transfer credits for education completed outside of the U.S. must be evaluated for equivalency by an approved agency. Agencies may be found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Note: Transfer credits must be completed at an accredited college and official transcripts must be received thirty days prior to deadline for processing. Photocopies will not be reviewed or accepted. Transcripts that have not been processed for transfer credits will not be used in the ranking process.
- Documentation demonstrating that all minimum requirements for consideration have been met.
- Letters of recommendation are not required.
Special Program Requirements for DHY
Please note that the following information must be received before courses begin:
- Health examination conducted within 1 year of fall startup date by a licensed healthcare provider.
- Proof of current immunizations (Annual PPD or chest x/ray within 1 year, Measles, Mumps and Rubella: series of 2 or a positive antibody titre, Hepatitis B: series of 3 and a positive antibody titre for Hepatitis B, Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Tdap) within 10 years, Chicken Pox: 2 vaccines or a positive antibody titre, Influenza vaccine (in season), or if required by the clinical facility) must be provided to the health services office. Contact the health services office at 978-630-9136, for more information.
- Liability insurance of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 coverage is required. Students will be covered under the college’s liability insurance policy, which will be billed through student fees.
- All dental hygiene students must participate in the Massachusetts Community College Health Insurance Plan or provide accurate information regarding comparable coverage.
- Current CPR Certification (Professional Rescuer or Healthcare Provider) is required. A certificate of completion must be presented to the health sciences department prior to entry into dental hygiene courses.
- Students will be taking all program specific coursework at the Fitchburg Campus. Some clinicals will be provided off campus at sites within the region; all students will be expected to complete clinical rotations on and off site.
- Clinical sites may require the student obtain certain background checks (state/federal criminal or sexual offender), finger printing and/or drug testing before participating in the clinical experience. Costs for these reviews will be the responsibility of the student.
- Prior to the start of classes, students will be required to pay approximately $3,000 for uniforms and equipment.
CORI/SORI Policy for DHY
Dental Hygiene students will be required to complete a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) check consistent with current Commonwealth of Massachusetts law M.G.L. c. §§ 178C-178P. Record storage and usage will be in compliance with (M.G.L.c. 275 § 4). It must be understood that a conviction in a court of law may prevent a person’s eligibility from being placed in a clinical agency. This then will not allow successful completion of the Dental Hygiene program. In addition, it will delay and may prohibit eligibility to take the Dental Hygiene Board Licensing Exam.
Please contact the MWCC Office of Admissions at 978-630-9110 or at email@example.com for more information, to obtain an application, or to attend an information session for this program.