Physical Therapist Assistant Degree (PTA) (Day only)
This program is located at the MWCC Gardner Campus.
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be notified of the admissions decision by mail approximately 60 days after the deadline. The college may return applications received after the deadline without review. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Candidates applying to the selective PTA program must attend at mandatory selective program information session prior to the PTA admissions deadline and before submitting their PTA application.
Requirements for Consideration to PTA
English Requirement - Students are strongly encouraged to have completed ENG 101 College Writing I with a grade of C+ or better, at the time of application.
Math Proficiency - Competency may be met with completion of a math course equal to MAT 143 Statistics or higher (not MAT 140 Elements Of Mathematics I) with a grade of C+ or better, or through college placement testing out of MAT 143. Math requirement may not be older than 10 years.
Science Requirement - Completion of a four-credit human biological lab science with a grade of C+ or better, completed no more than ten years prior to the program's application deadline (BIO 152 Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology is preferred or BIO 203 Anatomy and Physiology I (formerly BIO 199) and BIO 204 Anatomy and Physiology II for those applicants who will eventually continue their education in a Bachelor's Degree program).
Applicants must submit the following to the MWCC Admissions Office:
- A completed PTA admissions application (Available through the Admissions Office.)
- High School Diploma or Equivalency requirement as described in the College's general admissions requirements.
- Official transcripts of all college-level courses completed at all colleges other than MWCC. Official transcripts are not required for courses completed at MWCC. Transfer credits for education completed outside of the U.S. must be evaluated for equivalency by an approved agency. Agencies may be found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Transfer credits must be completed at a regionally accredited college and official transcripts must be received thirty days prior to the application deadline for processing. Photocopies will not be reviewed or accepted. Transcripts that have not been processed for transfer credits will not be used in the ranking process.
- Documentation demonstrating that all minimum requirements for consideration have been met.
Special Program Requirements PTA:
Please note that the following information must be received before courses begin:
- Health examination conducted within the past two years by a licensed health care provider (Must be submitted on the MWCC Health Form).
- Proof of current immunizations: Two doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMRs), or positive titre to prove immunity; three doses of Hepatitis B vaccine and a positive titre to prove immunity; one dose of Tetanus, Diptheria, Pertussis (Tdap) within 10 years; two doses of Chicken Pox, or positive titre to prove immunity; two step negative PPD or TB spot test, if positive PPD then negative chest x-ray and annual TB questionnaire; influenza vaccine (in season); please submit all to the Health Services Office (978-630-9136).
- Liability insurance of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 coverage is required. Students will be covered under the college’s liability insurance policy, which will be billed through student fees.
- Current CPR Certification (Professional Rescuer or Healthcare Provider) is required. A certificate of completion must be presented to the health sciences department prior to entry into PTA courses.
- All students in selective majors must participate in the Massachusetts Community College Health Insurance Plan or provide accurate information regarding comparable coverage.
- Clinical sites may require the student obtain certain background checks (state/federal criminal or sexual offender), finger printing and/or drug testing before participating in the clinical experience. Costs for these reviews will be the responsibility of the student.
Matriculating PTA students are allowed to readmit to retake a PTA core course (courses with PTA prefix) one time only. In the event that the course is not passed with a 77 or better grade on the second attempt, the student will be withdrawn from the PTA program without the opportunity for readmission at a later date.
CORI/SORI Policy for the PTA Degree
Physical Therapy Assistant students will be required to complete a CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) check. It must be understood that a conviction in a court of law may prevent them from being placed in a clinical agency. This then will not allow successful completion of the PTA program. In addition, it will delay and may prohibit eligibility to take their respective state’s PTA licensure examination.
Please contact the MWCC Office of Admissions at 978-630-9110 or at email@example.com for more information, to obtain an application, or to attend an information session for this program.